Sunday 21 December 2008

Song 22 in Ab major

Song 22 in Ab major (mp3 file)

Two steel string guitars.

This one came out very spontaneously. I was thinking about doing something jazzy, but that didn't work out. I started fooling around with an Abmaj7 chord voicing with an open G-string, and the sound appealed to me. Then I tried a Db major chord with the open G string added, which yields a Dbadd#11. I would never have come up with these sounds in any other key, I think, although I've used the same device of adding open strings to chords in other keys before. The whole tune consists of these two chords, and I more or less improvised a melody on top when it came time to do the lead guitar. Very smooth sounding, but I'm not adverse to doing that once in a while. I wish I could have recorded on a real mic, but due to circumstances beyond my control, that has been hard to do for the last few days.

No comments: