Sunday 14 December 2008

Song 14 in D minor

Song 14 in D minor (mp3 file)

Two (or maybe three) nylon string guitars.

I'm in a hurry today, so I had to cheat a little bit. Will have to post an explanation later! See you tonight:-)
...

Okay, I'm back! Today's cheat: this is actually an old recording, from around 2004 I think, but it was never published anywhere, I just think that one of my friends received it by e-mail. However, I had actually been thinking about using this particular tune. But my intention was to rerecord it, I was never 100% happy with the performance and arrangement, or the sound. It was recorded using a piezo mic (installed in the guitar's bridge), and although I can get a decent sound, it does not really compare with a real mic, which I've actually got now! (My Røde K2 is a pretty decent tube mic.)

But the alternative was to not post anything at all, and I figured it was decent enough to use, even with the reservations noted.

I couldn't find the original multitrack session, so this is an old mix that I tried to brush up ever so slightly with a couple tricks I've learned since 2004. I haven't listened that closely, but I think there might actually be three guitars towards the end. I did one track of drop D tuning, you can hear the low bass towards the end. My philosophy is really to try to get as much as possible out of as little as possible, so three tracks of guitar is really a little too much.

What can you say about D minor that puts it more succintly than the great Nigel Tufnel of legendary heavy rock band "Spinal Tap": "D minor is the saddest of all keys".

No comments: